30 Amazing Facts About Fifty Shades of Grey
October 12, 2019
If you’ve wondered what the hype is surrounding the Fifty Shades trilogy, here is your chance to get all the facts about the books.
I was hoping to get 50 facts here to fit in a little better, but you have enough to read!
- Fifty Shades of Grey is an erotic romance novel.
- It is written by British author, EL. James.
- EL. James’ real name is Erika Leonard.
- She is married to screenwriter and director, Niall Leonard. They have two teenage sons.
- She has been named one of Time magazine’s ‘World’s 100 Most Influential People’.
- She described her books as her midlife crisis https://topfactsite.com/.
- Fifty Shades of Grey is the first book in the Fifty Shades trilogy.
- The books are: Fifty Shades of Grey (2011), Fifty Shades Darker (2011) and Fifty Shades Freed (2012).
- They were published by Vintage Books.
- The books follow the relationship of college graduate Anastasia Steele and business magnate Christian Grey.
- The books are noted for its BDSM themes (bondage/discipline, dominance/submission, and sadism/masochism).
- The books have topped the best sellers charts in the United Kingdom and the United States.
- Over 65 million copies have been sold worldwide.
- The book rights have been sold in over 37 countries.
- It is the fastest selling paperback of all time, beating the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling.
- The books were developed from a Twilight fanfiction, originally titled Master of the Universe.
- James wrote under the penname “Snowqueen’s Icedragon“.
- James removed her fan-fiction from the various websites after comments were made about the sexual content concerning characters Edward Cullen and Bella Swan.
- After its removal, James rewrote and extended her story, making it an original trilogy.
- The series has been dubbed as “Mummy Porn”, as its fan-base is composed of married women over the age of 30.
- Interestingly, the book has been incredibly popular among teen and college girls.
- It has been criticised for its prose style and literary merit.
- It has also been criticised for its BDSM themes. Comments have been made that the series is “horribly written” and “disturbing”, whilst others believe that “if it enhances sex and relationships, so be it”.
- The book was banned at the Brevard Public Library in Florida.
- The Brazilian Judge Raphael Queiroz Campos ordered bookstores to stock the series out of the reach of juniors.
- Universal Pictures and Focus Features secured the rights to turn the series into films in 2012.
- It helped bring Britain out of recession by 1%.
- Newspaper, The Independent, reported on the recession that the 50 shades book had boosted sales of adult toys. There was: a 15% increase in the sale of whips, 60% increase in the sale of blindfolds and a 200% increase in jiggle balls.
- James and company Lovehoney teamed up to produce an official Fifty Shades of Grey adult toy set. Prices range from £9.99 to £44.99.
- Imitation books followed such as Bared to You by Sylvia Day.
Posted in: Others